PLANO, Texas (Aug. 6, 2020) – The back-to-school countdown is on, offering plenty of chances for a fresh start and an anything-can-happen year. While some students will hop on the bus back to the classroom and others will hop out of bed to distance-learn from home, there’s no doubt this school year will be different. Through it all, JCPenney celebrates the season with compelling new merchandise and great offers during its Mystery Sale, all while keeping safety a top priority.
Must-Have Merchandise for All Ages and Occasions
JCPenney has been a leading destination for back-to-school shopping for decades, and this year is no different. From kindergarten class to a college campus, the must-haves of the season are available at an incredible value, including:
“This year, instead of following the traditional back-to-school model, we’re taking a more holistic approach to the season,” said Michelle Wlazlo, JCPenney chief merchandising officer. “Summer growth spurts can mean more than new clothes or shoes – they can mean a bigger bed or new age-appropriate activities or electronics. Purchase habits are more about an evolution, and we’re helping our customers manage that. We’re primed to get students ready for the upcoming year with options for a variety of occasions during these uncertain times.”
Deep Discounts with Mystery Sale Event – Plus Tax-Free Weekend in Some States
JCPenney customers can be confident they are getting exceptional value with an extra 30% off at the Company’s flagship store, jcp.com, or in stores with a chance to save an extra 30%, 40%, or 50% as part of the Company’s Mystery Sale event – a customer favorite and one of the deepest discount offers of the year – happening Aug. 7-9. Store associates will welcome customers by handing out peel-and-reveal coupons at all store doors. The Mystery Sale complements several statewide tax-free weekends in Florida, Iowa, Missouri, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia, also happening Aug. 7-9.
Safety First with Numerous Precautions, Contact-free Curbside Pickup, and More
JCPenney remains focused on protecting the health and safety of its customers and associates through numerous precautions, such as requiring face coverings, offering Contactless checkout through its mobile app which provides emailed receipts, diligently cleaning stores with a focus on high-touch areas, and holding back tried-on merchandise from the selling floor for at least 24 hours. The Company also has social distancing signage and installed plexiglass at open registers in all stores. Additionally, customers have the convenient option to choose Contact-free curbside pickup at all go-forward stores when they shop online.
“In the midst of the pandemic, our flagship store, jcp.com, is more vital than ever. We’ve set up a back-to-school shop on our site where customers can easily find everything they need by category, such as home schooling, uniforms, backpacks, masks, brand, and dorm essentials. Our site truly reflects what’s happening in our customers’ lives,” said Wlazlo.
The Company’s redesigned flagship store features a faster site that’s even easier to use. Customers can:
(972) 431-5500 or firstname.lastname@example.org
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (OTCMKTS: JCPNQ), one of the nation’s largest apparel and home retailers, combines an expansive footprint of stores across the United States and Puerto Rico with a powerful eCommerce site, jcp.com, to deliver style and value for all hard-working American families. At every touchpoint, customers will discover stylish merchandise at incredible value from an extensive portfolio of private, exclusive and national brands. Reinforcing this shopping experience is the customer service and warrior spirit of JCPenney associates across the globe, all driving toward the Company’s mission to help customers find what they love for less time, money, and effort. For additional information, please visit jcp.com.