PLANO, Texas – (November 6, 2015) – As part of the Company’s commitment to environmental and social progress, JCPenney announced today the release of its 2015 Corporate Social Responsibility Report, detailing activities in calendar years 2013 and 2014. The report highlights the Company’s achievements in enhancing sustainability, advancing social and ethical standards, and encouraging associate giving and volunteerism.
“JCPenney has a strong legacy of responsible corporate citizenship – social, ethical and environmental values that are as important today as when James Cash Penney opened his first store in 1902,” said Marvin R. Ellison, chief executive officer of JCPenney. “As the retail and sourcing industries continue to evolve, so will our standards of sustainability and social responsibility.”
The online report outlines Company achievements in a variety of categories, including:
- Encouraging a Culture of Conservation – Ongoing sustainability programs address the environmental impact of approximately 1,020 stores and 14 supply chain facilities; including energy, water and waste. During an aggressive five-year energy conservation campaign, JCPenney reduced total Company energy usage by 19 percent – a cost avoidance of nearly $100 million and a significant reduction of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. From 2008 to 2014, JCPenney reduced scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions by 13 percent – the equivalent of removing over 14,800 cars from the road for one year.
- Fostering Supplier Partnerships – JCPenney nurtures strong supplier relationships built on transparency, continuous improvement and integrity. The Company’s Supplier Principles detail strict expectations of all suppliers that conduct business with JCPenney, and address ethical business practices, routinely audited working conditions, safe and high quality products, socially responsible supply chains and environmental impact. To ensure private brand supplier cooperation and compliance, third-party partner, Bureau Veritas, conducted 949 social audits on behalf of JCPenney in 2014 alone.
- Supporting Responsible Operations – JCPenney actively promotes a culture of waste management, and is committed to recycling items such as office paper, cardboard, hangers and more at all stores, distribution centers and offices. Between 2011 and 2014, the Company reduced total waste by 43 percent, from 143,459 tons in 2011 to 81,629 tons in 2014. Correspondingly, in 2013 and 2014, JCPenney recycled approximately 137,000 tons of waste, which is approximately 72 percent of total waste from operations.
- Winning and Giving Together – JCPenney is committed to empowering and developing associates in stores, supply chain facilities and offices around the world through business resource teams, continuing education programs and engagement surveys. JCPenney encourages associates to give back in any way they feel comfortable, inspiring associates to pledge over $5 million to non-profit organizations and commit 150,000 hours to community volunteerism in 2013 and 2014.
- Creating Connections within Communities – Through associate, customer and corporate contributions in 2013 and 2014, JCPenney and JCPenney Cares donated $40 million to nonprofit organizations in the form of cash and in-kind donations. At key times throughout the year, JCPenney invites customers to round up their purchases to the nearest dollar and donate the difference to a meaningful cause. In 2013 and 2014, customers donated approximately $17 million through JCPenney Cares to support organizations relating to arts in education, breast cancer awareness and military family support.
Sustaining the Future
JCPenney benchmarked its sustainability program performance against peers and external frameworks, and recognized the need for broader goals to drive higher performance. As a result, the Company adopted a new set of strategic goals to address and reduce its environmental impact for energy, water and waste by 2020. These goals include reducing scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions per sq. ft. by 15 percent, reducing by 5 percent total water consumed by JCPenney U.S. operations and recycling 85% of all waste generated by U.S. operations.
For more information, please review the 2015 Corporate Sustainability Report by visiting the social responsibility page under the About Us section of jcp.com.
(972) 431-3400 or email@example.com
(972) 431-5500 or firstname.lastname@example.org
J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (NYSE: JCP), one of the nation’s largest apparel and home furnishing retailers, is dedicated to fitting the diversity of America with unparalleled style, quality and value. Across approximately 1,020 stores and at jcpenney.com, customers will discover a broad assortment of national, private and exclusive brands to fit all shapes, sizes, occasions and budgets. For more information, please visit jcpenney.com.